Monday, March 01, 2004

More on Determined Pursuit. I can't help but think about the work that Ron did not collect. His collection definately tells the story of a particular time and movement in art history, but I wonder about all the other work that wasn't considered collectable at the time. I will have to look into this at the library. And I don't think the Quebec Abstract paintings can be divorced from their political context, and be discussed in formalist terms alone. After reading the Global Refusal, which is littered with poli-speak, how can these pieces not be referenced to what is not there, the representation of everyday life. Which in Quebec, I understand, was about Church, the state and being french. This is a reductionist view, I know, but I think the question, What don't you see? is as valid as What do you see? when presenting this work to the tour group.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home