Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Calle admits that she is given to introspection when unhappy. Grief is inevitably a better subject than joy, she argues. "When I'm happy I don't photograph the moment to share with people on the wall of a museum. It doesn't translate so well. Do people like hearing someone's story about how happy they are? Not usually," she says. "I was happy with someone for seven years recently and all my friends were very worried about what I was going to produce in this pink period. I did produce a lot but mainly it wasn't about me; I didn't feel like I needed to use my feelings."

'The worse the break-up, the better the art'

Your bad feelings, you didn't need to use your bad feelings. Why is it that people think that sadness is more interesting? That their darkness is more compelling than their light? Perhaps sad feelings are easier to identify (with). Or that if we have a problem, then there is more validity in sharing. It's incredibly odd, really. It's not that I don't want to explore darkness, or share someone's sorrow, but to say that the best art comes from suffering ... Perhaps we need to practise listening to the good, and sharing the good, instead of brushing it away as too much cake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home